I looked into creating a pop magazine, I chose this genre because I think it would be a fun magazine to make I also choose it because I enjoy listening to the typeof music that is created by pop artists.
The first thing I did before making my magazine was test the picture with different kind of camera shots, this is important to work out with kind of shot will work better for my magazine.
These pictures are in used for a school magazine.
This close-up shows perfectly the expression on the models face and shows her uniform for this school.
This picture shows the uniform and the playfulness that can be seen in the school thats why this show would be perfect for this type of magazine.

Very early on in our planning and researched we had a workshop analysing the spaces in magazine and the measurement of a magazine, this gave me a good idea for the layout.
I organised my language register so my audience can understand it. I understood that i had to get my language to suit my target audience, this means using smaller, more simple words to match the age for my audience.
This is the research for my front cover to my magazine.
The first magazine I examined follows a very bright colour scheme. This is very similar to my magazine in the way that I have used colours that mix well together and stand out against the text and images.
The thing that is quite different to my magazine is the way in which they have used the colours; they have used colour to highlight the most important parts of the cover, whereas with my magazine I have used colour to make my page look bright and noticeable.
The first image I looked at is a very busy kind of picture, a lot of the text over laps the pictures and there are adverts on it that are more eye catching as they are more vibrant and stand out a lot more.
There are various boxes and fonts used to advertise stories and promotions that will be used in the magazine.
The layout is very eye-catching and some parts of it can be hard to read.
This is my research for my contents page;
I looked at a lot of different types of contents page for my genre. The first one I looked at was from an extremely popular magazine, and the second one I have never seen before but looks a little less professional. I looked at these 2 magazines to get an idea of the layout for my magazine.

I noticed that magazines tend to use one main picture then a couple of other pictures related to the stories that are within the magazine, the same way that they do on the front cover. The first magazine has a picture of the top story as the main focal point of the page, then also has a few smaller stories and images on either end of the page. It also has images at the bottom of the page representing offers available in the magazine.
The second magazine doesn't really follow the same format. It looks more childish and unprofessional. It has the main focus of the page as a picture of the front cover explaining which page the stories on the front page are on. Also the magazine has a lot less pictures advertising promotions or stories in the magazine. It has one picture of a superstar and another picture of a bag.
This is my research for my double page spread.
I also looked at two different double page spreads, to focus on the different conventions of a typical pop magazine. By doing this it showed me that the title of the double page spread is always big and bold at the top of the page. Also there is always at least on big picture of the artist somewhere between the page - whether it is in the middle of the page or taking up one whole side of the page. There also tends to be a lot of colour on the page although they do tend to use the same colour pallet all the way through the page. There also tends to be another smaller picture of the artist, whether it's from a photo shoot or is a shot of the artist which was taken at an unexpected time.
These 2 magazines have quite similar features but very different layouts. This first magazine used picture of the boys all at a photo shoot and it used multiple pictures of them. The writing tends to be the same in the way it is coloured and the way it is set out. The first magazine has a lot more added to it than the second one.
The second magazine uses a quote as the main focus of the page and uses a picture of the artist to take up another side of the magazine. The writing is quite minimal, but yet it is quite effective. I have used this kind of technique and colour pallet in my magazine. I like the use of the colours although it is not over powering. I like the way the pictures reflect the story of the artist and I also like that the writing is effective although there isn't a lot of it.The codes and conventions of this magazine are always changing and can change dramatically depending on what the writer is trying to tell us. For example these 2 magazine are visually different although they still follow the same conventions.
My house style has to be extremely high colour because this is what the pop magazine industry demands, a lot of the magazines focus on the boy groups and artists but aims it at the younger girl, i have focused my magazine on girl groups and artist but still aiming it to the younger girl.
I have put my logo in the top corner of my page, i have done this to create branding for my magazine, for example if people like my magazine they can buy the magazine but also buy the merchandise with the logo, this will put my magazine in a better position.
This image shows my target audience in a visual representation. These are the kinds of things my target audience are into.

This is the research I did to find what would normally be needed on a magazine cover. This is the research on the codes and conventions for the magazine.
hrough doing this research I made sure that my magazine contained all the things needed to make a successful magazine.
I made sure my magazine had things like;
I took these medium close up, long shot photos for my front cover and decided the use the third picture, the picture suits the type of magazine because of how they are staring it makes them the main focus f the magazine,
I dressed them up in bright colours and put paint on their face with red lips, this gave a kind of 'mess about' attitude to the magazine and made it more interesting to the viewer, the pop artists that i have seen usually have very bright make up and very bright clothes, the pose in a 'modelish' type of way but still loo like they're having fun. this also fits the house style for my genre of magazine. It also reaches out to my younger audience with the excessive use of colour and the attitude shown in the picture.
I made sure my magazine had things like;
- a master head
- a main image
- multiple sub headings
- a barcode
- a logo.
I dressed them up in bright colours and put paint on their face with red lips, this gave a kind of 'mess about' attitude to the magazine and made it more interesting to the viewer, the pop artists that i have seen usually have very bright make up and very bright clothes, the pose in a 'modelish' type of way but still loo like they're having fun. this also fits the house style for my genre of magazine. It also reaches out to my younger audience with the excessive use of colour and the attitude shown in the picture.
These are the pictures I used for my contents page, I made the people that modelled for me a lot brighter and a lot more tanned
I made everyone I modelled wear casual but very nice looking clothes, the way they are all dressed is perfect for my type of magazine because people look for a sense of style in my genre which is what these models have.
The way yasmin's hair looks in this picture brings it to life and perfectly suits the magazine i am making, this picture will be the main focus of my magazine.
The way demi is positioned here gives a kind of 'sassiness' tot he picture which can make very good headline/ story.











No comments:
Post a Comment